Welcome to Music!
Music offers unique opportunities to explore individual creativity, artistic expression and a more in-depth understanding of past and present cultures in our diverse and changing world. Participation in a school music program develops self-discipline, focus and the capacity to refine work to a higher standard.
The study of music at the Intermediate School level is critical for the development of musical aptitude and achievement in music. This program is designed to offer a sequential, comprehensive, standards-based music education to all students in grades three through five. General Music classes are within the recommended state guidelines and meet two times per week for forty minutes (5th Grade) and thirty-five minutes (3rd & 4th Grade). Beginning in grade four, students are provided with the opportunity to expand their musical involvement by joining Chorus. In fifth grade they can choose to participate in Chorus, Band and Orchestra.
***PLEASE CHECK OUT THE***
DISTRICT PERFORMING ARTS CALENDAR
NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR MUSIC EDUCATION
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.