What are the benefits of early second language learning?
According to the Connecticut Council of Language Teachers the benefits of second language learning include:
- Children have the ability to learn and excel in the pronunciation of a foreign language
- They show positive results in areas of standardized testing; English, Language Arts. Math and SAT scores are shown to have significant gains
- Students show greater cognitive development in such areas as mental flexibility, creativity, divergent thinking, and higher order thinking skills.
- Second language study enhances listening skills, memory and understanding of English
- It improves self-concept and sense of achievement in school
- Children develop a sense of cultural pluralism, openness and appreciation of other cultures
What are the 5 C's?
The 5 C's of Foreign Language Education: