Delayed Opening/Early Dismissal Protocol
HURLBUTT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Regular Schedule: 8:30 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
Weston Public Schools typically have a one-, two-, or three-hour delayed opening (due to weather, staff development, etc.). Children cannot arrive more than 15 minutes prior to the delayed start time because there will be no supervision until then.
If individual students have to leave school before the end of the day, the teacher must receive a note from the parent/guardian. Parents/guardians must come to the main office to sign their children out. For safety, the only place children can be met is in main office. Parents/guardians may not go to the classroom.
Planned early dismissal days are noted on the district calendar. For the 2016-2017 school year, the dismissal time for early dismissals listed on the school calendar (for staff development, conferences, etc.) is 12:35 p.m. Any unplanned dismissals (due to weather, etc.) are typically one-, two-, or three-hour early dismissals.
The decision to call an early dismissal due to weather is made with enough advance notice to mobilize the buses for all Weston schools. In the event of an early dismissal, you need to know the following information:
- We will honor all bus notes.
- Children will go home on their regular buses unless they have a note for that day that tells us they have a change in plans.
- All after-school activities are canceled.
- The building is closed to all after-school programs.
- Children who normally go to a day-care center are sent there.
If bad weather is a possibility, parents/guardians should send their children to school with a note telling the teacher where the child(ren) should go if school is dismissed early.
It is rare that school is dismissed early without prior notification. Announcements will be made on several radio and television stations, our school information line and website will be updated, and a SchoolMessenger alert will be sent prior to sending the children home. If school is closed, dismissed early, or delayed for any reason, you can find out by:
- Subscribing to SchoolMessenger alerts
- Visiting the district’s website: www.westonps.org
- Calling the district information line at 291-1463
- Listening to local radio and television stations or visiting their websites
A full list of closure and delay information sources for Weston Public Schools is listed here along with how to register for the SchoolMessenger service. Please note, you must login to your SchoolMessenger account and opt in to the SMS option if you would like to receive text messages to your cell phone.